Bloggers are now considered as part of the media. We get invites from companies who are holding events because they want us to help them spread the word about their services and products. Some bloggers know how to utilize Search Engine Optimization and thus when someone search for a keyword it really helps their products to be easily searchable on the internet.
I didn’t asked to be treated special in an event whether I went there by a personal invite or I have just personally signed up to be able to go there, I just want to be treated fair and with respect.
Here are some things I consider before attending an event:
1. If the topic, product or service will be a good read on my blog.
2. If the event is near my location, or the organizer will provide a ride to an event because I don’t own a car.
3. If the time will not coincide with family things since they are more important to me than anything else.
Now, that we live in Cavite, I had to decline some invites that are far away and scheduled late in the evening even how nice the events looks like. Compared to traditional media who are compensated to attend events, bloggers are not (unless mentioned in the invitation). Bloggers use their own money for transportation, and it is not being reimbursed.
With this mentioned, I just hope that companies treated us well and with respect. I know that unfortunately there are some bloggers who usually go to events, just copy paste the Press Release, and enjoys the tokens being given by the companies but there are some who make an effort to promote the product, create quality posts using their own words and honest opinion and I think should be given what they deserve.
I am telling this because I had a bad experience with this PR Company who asked bloggers to attend their event and I was not treated with respect. Here are the reasons why I thought of that:
1. We were not advised on the dress code, the reason why some guests asked who we were and what are we doing there.
2. The Press Conference started late and even though it’s already late, no food was being served yet.
3. I did not waited for the food to be served anymore because it was too late, so I left already. I didn’t realized that the PR who invited us went even earlier than me without even informing us (a co-blogger just told me).
These reasons made me realize that there are PRs who look at bloggers as “small people”. As I have said, I am not expecting to be treated like a very special person, but I just want to be treated with respect.
This PR (before he left) thanked me for being there and he said that some bloggers don’t want to go to his events anymore, and with this experience, now I know the reason why. I think this will be the first and last event that I will ever attend for him.
- My kind of blogging event
- Things that happened last July 2013
- Things that happened last June 2013
- FREE BLOGGER SIGN-UP: iPAD MINI GIVEAWAY
- A day with my blogger friends!