Tuko or Tokay Gecko are mostly found in warm countries, like here in the Philippines. When I was a kid and usually spending my summer vacation at our province in Tarlac, I can see Tukos everywhere. My cousins who live there even told me that its bad luck to see one, which is why I usually close my eyes every time I spot a Tuko moving in a field or at the trees. Tuko eats mosquitoes or termites so they help the environment to be Dengue free.
Nowadays, folks at different provinces are hunting for Tuko, because one Tuko that weighed 400gms and above is equivalent to more or less $1,oo0,000 that’s already around 50M in Philippine Peso. The selling price depends on the weigh of this creature.
How did the price reached this high?
It’s because it is believed to have medicinal properties, it is said that a Tokay Gecko can cure cancer and even Aids. They said that it’s tongue has chemicals to cure these diseases. The selling price depends on the size of the creature because the larger it is, the bigger it’s tongue would be.
The Government said that it’s ILLEGAL to sell Tokay Geckos in the Philippines. The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) said selling and buying tuko is a violation of the Republic Act 9147, or the Wildlife Resources Conservation and Protection Act of 2001. As of now, Gecko is not yet included in the list of endangered species but they ARE already part of the threatened species because of the Gecko Hunting here and there. The penalty if you were caught selling and hunting is very LIGHT… it’s just one month and one day to six months imprisonment and a fine of not less than P5,000 to P50,000.
Here is my personal thoughts about this rage:
- Since Tokay Gecko’s price can already make a thousand Filipinos became millionaires, why does the Government just make a Gecko farm that will benefit everybody.
- If you breed Tokay Geckos, they will not be endangered. So why, make a law to have just one Gecko for every household to breed? Just like we do for Chickens and Pigs?
- Or give the job to the Government. If they will be the one to sell and breed the Geckos, poor Filipino (may) will have at least more funds for public hospitals, educations, agriculture, defense (which we badly need at the Spratly island now).
- Why can’t the Government just get a scientist and do the research here. If it’s true that it can cure Aids and Cancer, people around the Globe with these diseases will visit the Philippines and it means more work for Filipino people here.
- Gecko hunting I know is bad and against the law, but so does Graft and Corruption so I think the Government should do something about it. BREED a few Tokay Geckos, sell them and put the profit not only in our pockets but also to improve the environment and the Filipino people.
- If the Government REALLY want this Gecko hunting to be stopped then why doesn’t they make the penalty higher and not the one mentioned above.
- I want to make myself clear I AM NOT PRO GECKO HUNTING but I just want to point out too how we Filipinos will be benefited if we will do this right!
Did I make any sense here? What do you think?
- Advantages and Disadvantages in buying from Direct Selling
- Hunting for a new cell phone!
- Kids Costumes for School Events
- A Guide To The Appraisal Process When Buying Or Refinancing A Home
- Makati celebrates Caracol Festival 2012