My husband teased me that I might have an Alzheimer disease in the future because I always forget things where I put them. If he asks me something, I always say “I don’t know” automatically without even thinking to answer right.
I don’t mind it then since I am too lazy to think where I put things and the easiest way to answer it and make him find it himself is to say “I don’t know”. He said that he read somewhere that if I will not use my brain often the muscles and neurons will be weak and thus leading to Alzheimer disease that until now doesn’t have a cure.
I agree that it’s important to exercise our body to be healthy and fit, and at the same time it is also important to train our brain to enhance its capacity. My “me” time always include reading magazines (I am not a book person), but I think it is not enough so here are some tips I got from the web to help us exercise our brains.
10 Tips to Exercise your Brain
- Throw away the Calculator. For me, this is one of the best brain exercise. Let’s start manual calculation just like the old days.
- Read and expand your vocabulary. If I don’t understand a word, I usually ask my geek husband its meaning. Unfortunately over time, I usually forget it, so this time I will try to do what I did in High School and that is by writing them and checking them over and over again.
- Solve a Sudoku, Crossword puzzle, play chess, mancala (sungka) or computer games and apps that will enhance your brain power.
- Do an art project, to be creative and think analytically. For mommies like me, it is best if we can do this together with our kids. You will hit two birds in one stone: it is a good family bonding exercise plus you will improve your creativity as well.
- Sing and Memorize the lyrics of a song. My College friends always teased me of using wrong lyrics when I am singing. I didn’t realized that this is one of the things we can do to improve our brains.
- Learn a new language. When I was still in the corporate world, my co-employee were mostly Chinese and they usually taught me some words and laughed at me when I pronounced it wrong. Well, I think I need to study Chinese if I have time.
- Learn to play musical instruments. I tried playing a guitar before, but since my fingers hurt because of strumming, I stopped. Now I think I need to study it again.
- Plan your next vacation or do some budgeting. Yeah, this will make your head turn upside down. Do not ask for anyone to plan your itinerary, do it all by yourself, I know it will give you some headaches but for sure it will enhance your brain. Budgeting is another brain teaser, so do it often and for sure it will make a difference.
- Meditate Often. Try a Yoga exercise to help your brain get enough oxygen, and at the same time helps you calm down.
- Eat foods containing Omega 3 fatty acids such as Sardines, salmon, flax seeds and walnuts.
I commit to do these things to improve my memory and brain power. Nobody wants to get an Alzheimer disease when we get older so I suggest that you too should exercise your brain often. (photo via: scootdoodle.com)
- BrainMaster: the vitamin that nourishes the brain
- My day usually consist of the following
- Tips for Choosing Toys for Toddlers
- Healthy and Happy
- Have you heard of Celiac disease?