New resolutions and new looks often come with the New Year. This includes changes in both personal appearances and home interiors. Homemakers on a budget need not worry because there are ways to change the look of their home without going through costly renovations. Here are a few design tips to consider for a low-budget yet stylish home make-over this year.
1. Play with colors. A touch of bright and bold colored accents in the room can add flair or character in it. This can be done in several ways like giving the bedroom or living room a window treatment with some colored and textured fabrics. Areas in the house that are usually found in monochromatic hues like a classic white bathroom can be more lively by adding colorful fixtures or by adding some plants and wall décor. One can find a variety of colorful toilet seats or funky knobs and handles readily available in retail stores.
2. Add Fresh Items. Replace old and chipped furnishings or frayed and fading upholstery and rugs with fresh new items. If having the sofa and rugs re-upholstered is too costly, then one can simply get them professionally cleaned to get them in their best condition. Smaller décor pieces can then be added to the room like new throw pillows or light fixtures. For the outdoors, one can get inexpensive pots and flowered plants that are easy to maintain.
3. Rearrange and Get Rid of the Clutter. Sometimes getting rid of old items is enough to give the room a fresh new look. Throwing out or giving away old items should come part and parcel with acquiring new ones to avoid over-crowding the room. One can also rearrange furnishings to maximize the space in each room. In the case of small rooms, adding some mirrors in the wall can create the illusion on having extra space.
- How To Update a Tired-Looking Home
- Mirror mirror everywhere who’s the prettiest of them all!
- Lighting Fixtures for Your Modern Home
- How to Add Country Elements to Your Home Décor
- Sentimental Summer Trips