Homeowners should feel safe and free from the danger of mold; however, many homeowners may not even know mold exists in their homes, and the danger it poses.
In fact, toxic mold is especially active during the cold season when moisture from condensation accumulates in attics and exterior walls, and if the home is airtight, the matter can be compounded. From discoloration on walls to serious health problems, there are signals that mold may be growing and spreading in the home, and you may be able to detect them yourself.
One warning sign a home is infested with mold is a damp, musty odor. People may notice this unpleasant smell in dark basements or attics where oftentimes inside air is not consistently exchanged with fresh outside air. Moreover, mold prefers to grow in dark areas such as attics and basements that have no windows.
Mold Loves Moisture
A further sign for mold growth is excessive amounts of moisture buildup on unfinished wood or drywall or interior water damage. Where mold is, you can be sure there is water because mold needs water to grow. Besides basements and attics, mold can grow and thrive in kitchens and bathrooms where there are higher levels of moisture.
It’s also a good idea to look for areas where water is pooling or long-term damage on the home’s exterior. If you notice a section of the home where it stays wet for longer than it should, this may be a sign of the presence of mold.
Another sure sign of mold is the negative health impact it can produce. If those living in the home, including pets, are experiencing allergy-like symptoms, such as coughing, nasal congestion, a sore throat, itchy eyes or skin, or respiratory issues, it might be due to mold.
Visible and Invisible Mold
Dark and discolored walls caused by mold is a sign that it is in the most advanced stage. Furthermore, there may be mold growing in your home that you cannot see. Unseen mold usually grows under floors and in walls where water is present, so if there is water damage in the home, there is probably mold in that area, too.
While you might think you could remove the mold yourself, it is important to note that whenever mold is disturbed, mold spores are released into the air. For these reasons, many homeowners turn to a professional mold remediation company, such as DKI, to safely and effectively remove mold from their home.
- Why Exterior Prep Work Is A Must
- Takläggare Stockholm Tips on How to Maintain Roof during the Winter
- Landscaping Ideas To Prevent Pests
- Little Known Hair Care Tips You Need
- Keep your water clean with water filters