This is my 5th running event. I usually post my run overview at my mommy blog especially when the fun run is for the family, mommy related causes like breastfeeding and when I run with my son. This time, I decided to post this running event here because I went there solo and it fits more here in my lifestyle blog.
Forbes Park Earth Run assembly time was 5:00AM, and since I am not familiar of the place and I have to commute in order to get there, I arrived around 5:45 AM already. The jeepney driver dropped me off at the wrong gate of Forbes (the one besides Santuario de San Antonio church) so that took also some of my time. Well that’s okay since the gun start begins at 6:00AM for the 10K runners, 6:15AM for the 5K and 6:30AM for the 3K.
Forbes Park village is a very PRIVATE community. The guards will not allow you to enter the village if your car doesn’t have a FPA sticker, and runners should present their race bibs at the gate. Loitering or practice running for non-residents is not allowed.
When I arrived at the venue, some of the runners were already doing their warm up exercises. I got my sponsored race kit from the organizers at the gym where most of the sponsor’s booths were located.
The event was hosted by last years Ms. Philippines Earth Winners.
Ms. Philippines Earth candidates also graced the event.
A Mercedez Benz just like last year’s race lead the runners first.
Here is the trophy that the winners will receive after the race and a Sony Walkman.
Okay runners, Are you ready?
By the way, pairs and teams needs to hold hands when crossing the finish line. Solo runners can join, but are not eligible to win.
Comments and some observations:
1. The number one concern of most runners on this fun run is the price of the race kit. It has been criticized to be too expensive (3K-P800, 5K-P900 and for 10K-P1000). But here, is the explanation of the Forbes Park Organizer why it is priced that way.
The biggest reason why the registration fee is expensive is because of the race shirts. These shirts are very high-quality, effective training shirts, with special material in them to help it easier for runners to train with them, even at night (there’s a reflector in the back and glow-in-the-dark detail on the sides). We wanted to produce these shirts, despite the very high production cost (one of these training shirts would easily cost 1000php in SM) because we wanted our runners to experience something different, and take home something that they could still use and be proud of.
Putting the fact that this run is being held in Forbes Park, we also wanted to raise money for our Rotary Projects. These include PnP legal aid, Wish a Limb for Kids, and our own Gawad Kalinga community. And because we also wish to support the Miss Earth Philippines’ cause, a large chunk of our profits will also go to the Miss Earth Foundation and their various projects. (from Takbo.ph)
I agree that the race shirt is very nice and of high quality. It is like a rash guard. My husband, niece and nephew even wants to get one when they saw it.
2. A day before the run, an announcement was held at Forbes Park Earth Run FB page about them not having a BAGGAGE COUNTER. They said that there was no volunteer to do it. But, I think they expected that most runners have their own cars or just living near the area so they did not bother to put a baggage counter. Because of this, it’s a good thing that I have a bag from the Unilab Run United 1 that I can carry along while I run.
3. No Automatic Timing System- Only the winners’ time will be noted down, so runners should take note of their own time.
4. Runners were well hydrated, thanks to Powerade.
5. Forbes Park village is so quiet, clean and green. It is a perfect place to run since you are safe from vehicular accidents and pollution. I saw lots of old trees on the sidewalk that were not being cut down even though it tresspasses already on the owner’s backyard. I forgot to take a picture, so I hope someone from there will send me one.
6. There were lots of freebies from sponsors like: Protein milks and candies from GNC plus a 20% off Privilege Pass that you can use to buy any GNC products at any GNC outlet nationwide. A cup of cereals that you can eat right away and 1 45gm box to carry home from Kellogg’s Special K. Besides Powerade, C2 was also giving away a solo bottle. All runners I think got a pack of Rexona that includes: 2 Rexona Women Roll On and spray. A sachet of Kerastase Age Premium Masque and Lemon square cupcakes. A chance to take home a Makati Medical Center personalized item (pick a prize)- I got a ref magnet! An eco bag from St. Luke’s Hospital. A free magazine from Multisport and many more!
I hope next year they will open this Earth Run to everyone again, and I hope that I will be there again to cover the event.
- Adidas King of the Road (KOTR) 2013 Overview
- Condura Skyway Marathon 2013 experience
- Win Unilab Run United 1 2013 Vouchers here!
- Unilab Run United 2012 loots plus 2013 schedule
- Win Unilab Run United 2 2013 Vouchers here!